Treasures of The Worshipful Company of Wheelwrights
Through the course of its history, the Company has amassed a collection of valuable items. At the Company Dinners some of these are often brought out and displayed so that the Liverymen of today and their guests can enjoy the precious relics of its past. Some of these treasures are shown below:
|The Bateman Charles II Tankard
This Charles II Tankard, dated London 1683 is engraved with the Company’s Coat of Arms, and was presented by Mathew Bateman, the Company’s Master in 1697. Its handle has a fish above it, with a bifurcated scroll thumbpiece.
|The Webb Flagon
The Webb Flagon, dated London 1849, was presented to the Company by Walter Webb, the Company’s Master in 1891. This silver flagon is profusely chased with strapwork, animal heads, shells and leafage. Its shows two bacchic masks and has a shallow-doomed cover with faceted finial and leaf scrolled handle.
|The Master's Goblets
These three gold goblets are used by the Master at Company Luncheons and Dinners.
They are in Elizabeth I style, each bearing the Company’s Coat of Arms in enamel. They were presented in 1962 to the Company by Lt. Col. R.L. Broad , the Company’s Master in 1965.
|The Woodman Cups
This pair of matching Cups and Covers, dated London 1952, were presented to the Company by Andrew M. Woodman, the Company’s Master in 1954.
They are tapered and applied with an upper band of anthemions and leavy scrolls, have reeded handles and are engraved with the Company’s Coat of Arms.
|The Oyster Shell
This silver gilt Oyster Shell, dated London 1972, was presented to the Company by Sir Murray Fox, the Company’s Master in 1964 and Lord Mayor of London in 1974.
The hinged shell contains two pearls which reputedly represented his two daughters.
|The Bridges Cup
This fine and heavy gauge Cup and Cover is dated Birmingham 1817 and was presented to the Company by George Bridges.
It is of thistle form with heavy rims and a shallow cover with pomegranate finial. The two side handles are finely cast brachia masks.
|The Poor Box
A Company treasure need not always be made of a precious metal.
The Poor Box embodies the value of charity and charitable giving. The Poor Box is placed in front of the Master and Wardens at every Court Meeting. At Installation Court all members are required to make a donation with the amount so raised going equally to Providence Row and the Salvation Army.
It was made circa 1682 from oak from York Minster. It is in obelisk form, applied with metal strapwork, hinge and escutcheon and painted with the Company’s Coat of Arms.
The Mace is a symbol of authority. It is either carried by the Company’s Beadle, in procession where the Master of the Company is present, or laid on the table before him to identify the fact that he is empowered to act on the Company’s behalf.
This silver Beadles’ Mace Head (which rests on top of a wooden rod) was made in London by John Carter in 1774.
The Head bears the Company’s Coat of Arms and motto.