|The Work Continues
The earliest representation of the Wheelwrights' Coat of Arms dates from 1682 although the origins remain a mystery. However, it was not until 1965 that the College of Arms granted Letters of Patent giving the Company official recognition and rights over its coat of arms.
The Wheelwrights Company maintains a close connection with the City of London and one of its principal roles is to support the Mayoralty and Corporation.
The Company is especially proud of the fact that seven of its members have, over the years, served as Sheriff and Lord Mayor of London. They are Sir Robert Peckham in 1793, Sir George Bridges in 1819, Sir William Dunn in 1915, Lord Ebbisham of Cobham in 1926, Sir Murray Fox in 1974, Sir Anthony Jolliffe in 1982, and Alderman Sir David Rowe-Ham in 1987.
In addition Michael N. Hinton, Clerk to the Company from 1965 to 1972 was Aldermanic Sheriff in 1977/78, and Kenneth Ballard and John Taylor served as Lay Sheriff in 1978/79 and 1990/91.
Charitable giving has, from the outset, been a major part of the activities of a Livery Company. Initially to support members and their families who had fallen on hard times and subsequently on a much broader basis. For details of the Wheelwright's charitable activities please visit our Charities section.Our Coat of Arms
Please visit our Charities Section for current activities